Practice History


We are proud to be part of the oldest medical practice in Alameda.  For over 120 years, our commitment has been to provide each patient with the highest quality, state-of-the-art eye care.

1896

Originally founded in Alameda by W. Barclay Stephens, MD as an Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat practice.

1926

The practice moves to its present location in Alameda at 2241 Central Avenue.

1931

Bruce M. Stephens, MD (Barclay Stephens older son) joins the practice as an ophthalmologist and W. Barclay Stephens, MD retires shortly afterwards.

1940

Stuart B Stephens, MD (Bruce Stephens brother and Barclay Stephens other son) joins the practice as an ophthalmologist.

1942

Shortly after the onset of World War II, W. Barclay Stephens, MD leaves retirement and returns to the practice while Drs Bruce and Stuart Stephens enter military service.

1946

W. Barclay Stephens, MD retires again when Drs Bruce and Stuart Stephens return from military service.

1948

William R. Hirst, MD joins the practice as an ophthalmologist.

1959

Edward F. Purcell, MD joins the practice as an ophthalmologist allowing Bruce M. Stephens, MD to retire after a career of 30 years.

1965

William R. Hirst, MD retires from ophthalmology.

1970

Philip L Gardner, MD joins the practice as an ophthalmologist.

1979

Stuart B Stephens, MD retires after nearly 40 years of practice as an ophthalmologist.

1980

Michael A. Glazeski, OD joins the practice as an optometrist.

1987

Edward F. Purcell, MD dies unexpectedly.

1988

Stephen D. Cohen, MD joins the practice as an ophthalmologist.

2000

David P. Bui, MD joins the practice as an ophthalmologist.

2011

Jennifer B. Taylor, MD joins the practice as an ophthalmologist.

2014

Dorothy P. Khong, MD joins the practice as an ophthalmologist.

2015

Michael A. Glazeski, OD retires after 35 years of practice as an optometrist.

Jenny Xu, OD joins the practice as an optometrist.